David W Noon wrote:
That's easy: if you know you are going to reinstall after deleting,
just take a backup copy of those files you have modified, which is
usually only the one configuration file.  After the reinstallation,
restore from your backup.

Alternatively, you can switch the suggested option to "off", either on
the command line or in /etc/make.conf.

This is a fairly rare occurrence, and it should be planned -- including
the making of a backup.

For me, wanting the config files removed is what is so very rare. As to the backups, I make backups but not before every time I emerge/unmerge something. Requiring users to do all that is worse than just deleting the config files manually.

Dale

:-)  :-)