Fernando Meira schreef:

> I've been looking for comments about this process... and I got a little
> bit scared.
> In my case, i have (in order):
>  - /dev/hda1 - 9.8G  windows
> - /dev/hda2 - EXTENDED
> - /dev/hda5 - 23G   share
> - /dev/hda3 - 512Mb swap
> - /dev/hda4 - 4.6G gentoo
>
> So, am I wrong or is it impossible to merge hda1 and hda4 with hda5 in
> between?
> I could rearrange swap and even create /boot, but I wont be able to move
> (at least at the time being) my share partition.
> If I'm right, then what are my choices?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why you feel the driving need to merge
anything.

*You are a Linux user. You can mount partitions wherever you want.*

I don't think you can "merge" hda1 and hda4 without setting up LVM, but
there's no reason that you can't boot from a LiveCD, mount the
newly-empty hda1 to /mnt/temp, rsync the contents of /usr (or /var, or
whatever) to that partition, rename the current /var (or /usr, or
whatever) folder to var(usr).tmp, then edit your fstab to mount hda1 to
/var.

If it all works properly, erase /var(usr).tmp, and the space is free.

That's how most of us get extra space "on the fly" when there's no other
choice and it has to be done relatively quickly and with minimal
disturbance (as opposed to major repartitioning that might be necessary
for something like setting up LVM).

HTH,
Holly