Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Wednesday 22 June 2011 17:23:44 Mark Knecht wrote:

When I removed the fortran flag it didn't change anything because (I
suppose) the KDE profile has included it as a default.
So it seems. I've just tried "USE=-fortran emerge -upDvN world" and the only
thing that would be remerged because of fortran is gcc. So I'm going to put
-fortran into make.conf and see what breaks.

It will break several things. This is what I just went through. It appears that if you emerge kde-meta, you have to have a fortran type compiler. So, you may as well keep what you got if it is working. When I started going down this road, I thought I could just disable fortran and have less packages installed. That is not the case. I removed fortran then had to replace that with even more packages than I had to begin with.

If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With hindsight, I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a thing. Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either enable fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name of. That one package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.

Just my $0.02 for whatever that's worth.

Dale

:-)  :-)