On 06/22/2011 02:18 PM, Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 06/22/2011 06:55 AM, Dale wrote:
I just did my updates and ran into this:

* Maintainer: s...@gentoo.org
* USE: amd64 consolekit elibc_glibc kernel_linux multilib policykit
userland_GNU
* FEATURES: preserve-libs sandbox

* Please install currently selected gcc version with USE=fortran.
* If you intend to use a different compiler then gfortran, please
* set FC variable accordingly and take care that the neccessary
* fortran dialects are support.
[...]

Heads up for folks about to do their updates, check into the USE flag
fortran to see if you need to add it to yours before updating a bunch of
stuff.

Uninstall sci-libs/blas-reference I guess. And probably whatever
depends on it. Please do an "emerge -pv --depclean blas-reference" and
post the output so we can see what's pulling it as a dep on your system.

Here is the output:

root@fireball / # emerge -pv --depclean blas-reference

Calculating dependencies... done!
sci-libs/blas-reference-20070226 pulled in by:
virtual/blas-1.0

OK, that didn't help.  Try: emerge -pv --depclean virtual/blas

Two things. I read about this on -dev but didn't realize it was going to
affect me until I saw the message. After I added fortran to my USE line
in make.conf, it only rebuilt gcc then revdep-rebuild rebuilt
dev-lang/ifc-10.0.026-r1. Everything appears to be clean now.

To think people wonder why my USE line is so big. I keep having to add
stuff when portage pukes but portage never tells me when one has fell
off the reservation and needs to be removed. < sighs > Over the years,
it adds up.

That is no solution. I highly doubt you need a Fortran compiler :-/ By adding more stuff to your make.conf as a work-around for problems like this, you add more and more stuff to your Gentoo install; stuff you actually have zero use for. By that logic, you could enable every possible USE flag that exists so that you always have everything, just in case. But then you should probably be using openSUSE or something :-P