On Wednesday 06 July 2011 22:41:25 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2011 22:02:03 pk did opine thusly:
> > > Devs get a certain amount of leeway and tolerance from users> > because
of what they do as volunteers. But there's a line> > somewhere and in my view
arbitrarily deciding to obsolete a> > toolkit just because you feel>
> > Yes, but what can we do about it? Force him (I assume he's> volunteering
and is not payed for his work) to continue supporting> it? Well, I assume we
could pay him... or something.
> Well, there's really only one thing that appeals to your average devin any
area:
> Treat them like a dev and appeal to their better judgement.
> One can recognise that a dev is acting like a total dick, but pointingit out
gets you nowhere. I refer you to my vast experience ofattempting to do the
same with the devs I work with :-) It alsoapplies to sysadmins, people who
(embarrassingly) point out that I ama complete jerk lots of the time tend to
get nowhere to.
> Reasoned, well supported arguments coupled with a little ego-strokingis what
motivates most devs. Nikos' last comment on the bug is a goodone - asking for
a list of supported gnome apps in the tree thatrequire gtk+-2.
> It does require that one put aside one's urges to pull this off. Priceof the
trade we work in, I suppose.

and/or take the whole mess to -dev...

I couldn't care less about gtk stuff - but forcing gtk3 just because - and
that on a package where gtk3 is the worse choice... not a smart move.

--
#163933