On Thursday 07 July 2011 13:42:24 Michael Orlitzky did opine thusly:
> > Holy shit, that attitude from Samuli sucks big balls big time.
> >

> > He's always come across to me as an OK dev, never seen him pull
> > THAT  stunt before.
>
> For what it's worth, I was expecting much worse. In his defense, the
> commenters list a bunch of bugs in other packages as the reason why
> they want to retain gtk2 support in the gnome-mplayer ebuild.
>
> Per comment 21, the Gnome team suggests that packages use the latest
> version of gtk that works.

Yes, that's "suggests" they use "that latest that works", not
"demands", "insists", "mandates" or "requires", and not "only the
latest version that works".

> The gnome-mplayer package is supported on the alpha, amd64, ppc,
> ppc64, x86, and x86-fbsd arches. Adding a gtk2 USE flag means that
> the testing load would be doubled; that the maintainer would have
> to recompile the package six times on six different machines to
> make sure that it runs with gtk2.
>
> Then, to go stable (in addition to now being tied to the stable
> gtk2), the arch testers would have to re-test on all six of those
> arches.
>
> So, the additional burden isn't so small as it's made out to be in
> the comments.

And what about gnome? Does that not impose a fantastic testing burden,
alongside which gnome-mplayer is small in comparison?

How about the devs relook at this and do it sanely. When the major
consumer of gtk+ (gnome itself) has a stable gtk+-3 very in stable,
then other packages follow suit, not before.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com