On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Willie Wong <ww...@math.princeton.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:52:12AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> A complete reboot like that might be software jumping to the wrong
>> address but, if so, it seems to me that it's more likely caused by how
>> you've built the machine and not the software itself having a bug.
>
> If this is a continuation of Dale's previous problems, it is most
> likely that the reboot is caused by him having enabled the kernel
> option to reboot on panic. The question then is, what is causing the
> kernel to panic?

Ah, yes. I forgot that he talked about turning that on. I've never
used the option myself so it didn't enter my thinking.

OK, so I guess we're down to thinking this is just the same old
problem with this machine? What a drag to do all this stuff and then
make no headway!

I think it would be helpful at this point to see emerge --info and the
sort of stuff I outlined earlier. What else can we do?

There still exists the possibility of a bad piece of hardware. A
defective GPU, thermal issues on a motherboard in a system built at
home, etc.

I also think that a network debug console of some time might be
instructive if Dale is up to getting it operating.

- Mark