On Monday, August 1 at 12:41 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:

> On Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:02:22 AM Florian Philipp wrote:
> > @system used to contain portage. It doesn't by default, anymore. If
> you
> > do `emerge -pv --depclean`, portage should try to remove itself.
> Just
> > add it to @world by doing `emerge --noreplace portage`
>
> It doesn't try this on my system

Yeah, I don't think that statement was entirely accurate.  Deplean
"normally" will not try to remove portage, because it satisfies the
virtual/package-manager requirement, which is in @system.

If, however, you have portage and another package satisfying
virtual/package-manager installed, and the other package was in your
world file, but portage wasn't then depclean *would* remove portage.
This is the recent behavior change, which is why some people were
surprised suddenly when nano or less or
insert_your_favorite_virtual_here was suddenly wanting to get unmerged
by --depclean.