On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using vsftpd and I'm quite satisfied, except for one
> problem which I can not solve:
>
> Anonymous users are chrooted to base ftp-server directory
> /home/ftp but local users are chrooted to their own
> directories /home/ftp/$USER and they can not move higher.
> The only way for them to see directories of other local
> users is to log-off and log-in as anonymous. This is not
> very convenient. Why should authenticated user be allowed
> less (in this particular aspect) than anonymous?
>
> So I'd like to change it the way that both anonymous
> as well as local users are chrooted to base ftp directory
> /home/ftp but I do not know how to do it.
>
> Whe I remove "chroot_local_users=YES" from vsftpd.conf,
> local users are not chrooted at all, and can move
> around the whole system up to /. And when I let that
> "chroot_local_users=YES" activated, they are chrooted
> to home-dirs. So how can I solve this problem?

I haven't used vsftpd in a long time but I believe you can do
something like this:

Set user_config_dir to point to someplace such as /etc/vsftpd/users

In that directory, create files for each username and within it put:
local_root=/home/ftp

I think that might set all of those users to login to that folder. I
have not tried it. :)

There was also an option to use alternative home directories rather
than the one specified in /etc/passwd, but I can't remember exactly
what that was and it may have still used the username as part of the
path. "man vsftpd.conf" should explain it.