On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:13:14 -0500
Joe Menola wrote:

> On Sunday August 14 2005 4:38 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast through
> > and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it does
> > not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.
>
> Can you name any version of Linux where version upgrades go directly into
> stable?
> It's all about choice...the "latest n greatest" or "tried n true".
> And that's how it is in any flavor of Linux I've tried, LFS  included.

I am not challenging anything of what the "biters" have said in relation
to my post. I know the need for testing and i know that many people
successfully run ~x86 systems for the latest and greatest.

However, when I first used gentoo I was always the first in my LUG to
have the latest kde, evolution, mplayer etc, and that was running x86
not ~x86. My perception is that gentoo is no longer first off the block
with stable releases.

I also realise that this is in no small part due to the huge increase in
the number of packages in portage, the growing complexity of package and
dependency management as both the tree and the "bloat" of complex
software grows.

However I also see constant complaints of people who contribute ebuilds
for new versions or new packages to bugzilla and then have them sit
there for months without any activity at all.

Myself, I love gentoo and this is not a complaint, merely an observation
that things are no longer as they were, and that there appear to be some
factors slowing down the progression of packages in their path from
bugzilla to stable. Maybe this is because the concepts of choice in
gentoo lead to an environment where it is harder to track all possible
combinations of those choices. After all if there were 50 use variables
[1] there are 2^50 combinations of those variables being off or on.
Combine that with variations to architecture, CFLAGS and whatever else
you can configure and you have a much tougher development environment
than one where everything is compiled into "we decide what you get"
binaries.

[1] i have no idea how many there are.

Cheers.