Alan Mackenzie writes:

> Hi, Alex.

> > Graham Murray wonders:
>
> > > Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems?
> > > Today is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD
> > > world has rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use
> > > flag change, then the next day a new version was put in the tree,
> > > then there was an -r1 release and today there is yet another use
> > > flag change.
>
> > Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
> > the cups USE flag has been removed.
>
> What???  I run lprng on my machine, not cups.  Does that mean that
> libreoffice will be broken the next time I update?  Please tell me I've
> misunderstood what you've just said.

I don't know much about this, I just did a
diff
/var/db/pkg/app-office/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1.ebuild
/usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1.ebuild.
The IUSE line no longer has cups, the dependency of net-print/cups is
mandatory, and --enable-cups is always given as configure option. Yes,
this means you will need cups. I don't know if you somehow could
still print when it is not configured.

> Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance,
> its wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration.  Surely
> I'm not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or
> using cups?

Printing is one thing that just seems to work much better on Windows. This
is becoming better, it looks like the LibreOffice and Firefox print
dialogs allow to set print features like the resolution. But other
applications, like Konqueror, do not have this option, so I have multiple
printers configured in order to select the resolution. BTW, how is
your situation with lprng now, can you change the resolution in Firefox'
print dialog?

I never liked CUPS, but then, at least there is some interface
to configure its options. I don't do much printing anyway, so I can live
with that. Well, seems I have to.

        Wonko