Hi, Michael.

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 01:02:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> > Hi, Paul.

> >> I have to do that every time I plug my printer in...

> >> I print so infrequently, every time I want to print I turn the printer
> >> on and plug it into my PC, and then spend 25 minutes trying to make it
> >> work with CUPS again.

> > I also print infrequently.  I turn my printer on, and it simply works,
> > straight away (after warming up; it's a laser printer).

> > However, I use lprng, not cups.  It's good that we have a choice over
> > what software we use, isn't it?  ;-(

> It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and other
> print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher.

Preferred by whom?  Firefox, for example, manages lprng just fine.  It's
really not a big deal supporting an extra spooler interface, particularly
a simple one.

> Is there a simple IPP daemon which could wrap lprng?

Adding a layer of complexity to a daemon to cope with added complexity in
a client program?  I doubt it.  It sounds like madness.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).