On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Michael.
>
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 01:02:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
>> > Hi, Paul.

>> > I also print infrequently.  I turn my printer on, and it simply works,
>> > straight away (after warming up; it's a laser printer).
>
>> > However, I use lprng, not cups.  It's good that we have a choice over
>> > what software we use, isn't it?  ;-(
>
>> It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and other
>> print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher.
>
> Preferred by whom?  Firefox, for example, manages lprng just fine.  It's
> really not a big deal supporting an extra spooler interface, particularly
> a simple one.

Because, as "simple" as it could be, it's another one. Big projects
need to support CUPS, because they need to work for everyone (or as
many as possible). It makes no sense *at all* to support more printing
systems.

And again, it's Open Source. If there is enough demand, someone will
write support for other printing systems. Just don't assume that any
project (being LibreOffice or Gentoo) need to support your choices
besides the most used one.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés