On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 01:15, kashani <kashani-l...@badapple.net> wrote:
> On 9/6/2011 10:26 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>>
>> So, can anyone recommend me a filesystem that fulfills my following needs:
>>
>> Scenario: vFirewall (virtual Firewall) that is going to be deployed at
>> my IaaS Cloud Provider.
>>
>> Disk I/O Characteristic: Occasional writes during 'normal' usage,
>> once-a-week eix-sync + emerge -avuD

>> My Google-Fu seems to indicate either XFS or JFS; what do you think?
>
>        I think it's a useless local optimization for no real world gain
> which only increases the complexity of your systems. Use the same filesystem
> you use on all your other servers.

Well, for all my other servers, I standardized on ext4.

Since a vFirewall have to perform lots of packet-juggling, I'd rather
dedicate the CPU time to the kernel rather than the HD I/O.

Of course, a vFirewall needs to be updated every now and then, but
everytime an update is called for, it should not overly tax the CPU
and degrade the netfilter framework.

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan