----- Original Message -----

> From: Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
> On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:

Yes, so I can use sudo.

>>  >>  #ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>>  >>  ap_scan=1
>>  >>  fast_reauth=1
>>  >>  # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any
> net.*
>>  >>  # scripts in /etc/init.d.  To create a more complete
> configuration,
>>  >>  # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your
> configuration
>>  >>  # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
>>  >>
>>  >>  # Standard Network:
>>  >>  config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
>>  >
>>  > The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now
> deprecated.
>>  > You
>>  > should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the
> above
>>  > becomes:
>>  >
>>  > config_eth0="dhcp"
>>  >
>>  > This is explained in:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>>
>>  Corrected that one too. eth0 was working fine though.
>
> Yes, because eth0 will default to dhcp, after the old syntax you were using
> errors out or is ignored.

Ok.

>>  > modules="wpa_supplicant"
>>  > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
>>  > config_wlan0="dhcp"
>>
>>  I re-enabled those and added the last line.
>
> OK, wpa_supplicant should now work as intended.
>

>>  > You need to add or uncomment the following to your
> wpa_supplicant.conf:
>>  > =====================
>>  > network={
>>  >         key_mgmt=NONE
>>  >         priority=0
>>  > }
>>  > =====================
>>  > The above will let latch on the first available AP.
>>
>>  I wasn't sure that that one was for. I've re-enabled it and the
> original
>>  one for my network.
>
> OK, this is useful for open AP which accept connections.  If they need
> encryption you can add this using the wpa_gui.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks!

>>  > Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what
>>  > not: =====================
>>  > # Home Network
>>  > network={
>>  >       ssid="MY-NETWORK"
>>  > #      key_mgmt=IEEE8021X  <--You don't need these entries
> here, unless
>>  > #      eap=TLS             <--you run SSL certs for authentication
>>  >       wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
>>  >       priority=1
>>  >       auth_alg=OPEN
>>  > }
>>  > =====================
>>
>>  Interestingly, wpa_supplicant complains if those two lines are not there
>>  even though I am not doing SSL auth.
>
> Hmm ... what is the error/warning that comes up?

I'll have to check after I get home.

> Either way, can you please add:
>
> eapol_version=1

Will do this evening.

>>  I'd rather use the NetworkManager in KDE than wpa_gui.
>>  That said, NetworkManager in KDE seems to be using wicd for some reason.
> You need someone else to chime in here, because I use neither of these.  As
> far as I read in this M/L wicd is more or less fool-proof.
>>  I also have KDE running under Kubuntu on my work computer (4.6.2) and the
>>  Network Manager is completely different (don't know why) - it's not
> wicd
>>  as far as I can tell.
>>
>>  However, They are still not working. wpa_gui refuses to scan and find
>>  networks; while wicd is not finding networks either - but there's so
>>  little information in the GUI that it is practically useless to say why.
>>  Perhaps I've got something at the KDE layer screwed up?
> I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to
> use
> both at the same time.  If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
> then just use that.

Well, I figured this part out. Essentially, I had wpa_supplicant, and wicd
installed.
However, what I really wanted to NetworkManager and KNetworkManager installed.
So I removed wicd, and installed NetworkManager and KNetworkManager.
I now get the interface I expected under KDE and don't need to use wpa_gui any
more.
Still, it doesn't scan.

> When wpa_gui refuses to scan what message do you get?  What do the logs say.
> Also, if wpa_gui or wicd fail to scan for APs what do you get from:
> # iwlist wlan0 scanning

At least from the applications I am not getting any error messages. I'll have
to check the logs tonight and let you know.

This morning I checked the antennae to verify they were properly connected to
the mini-PCI card (as I had opened it up a few weeks ago to see whether it was
mini-PCI or mini-PCIe; but I didn't remove/disconnect anything at that  time).
Everything checked out. So it shouldn't be a hardware issue unless the card is
completely fried for some reason.

I'll check the logs this evening and let you know.

Thanks!

Ben