Alex Schuster wrote:
Dale writes:

Alex Schuster wrote:
David W Noon writes:

The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think
the idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the
initramfs will be many times larger than the kernel itself.  Indeed,
my /boot partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too small to
contain all the extra libraries and programs to run the initramfs
script.
Here, I only need 2.2 M for the kernel, 1.7 M for System.map, and 3.5
M for the initramfs.
Well, that may not be the case for everyone else.
Sure, but how much bigger are your kernels actually?

root@fireball / # du -shc /boot/
84M     /boot/
84M     total
root@fireball / #
I get 82M, but I have ten kernels in there. What stuff do you have
in /boot?

        Wonko

Well, I *had* several old kernels in there. I save stable kernels as I upgrade until I have a really good one then I remove the older ones. I always keep at least two kernels tho. If one fails, I got a fall back. I have had to use those fall backs before so I won't be changing that policy here any time soon.

I think I had about a dozen or so in there until my cleaning out party last night. I also save back up configs to just in case a kernel goes bad or I need to go back. I version my kernels too. Long story.

Dale

:-)  :-)