Well...to get back on topic...

----- Original Message -----
> From: David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com>
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:52:53 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote about
> "[gentoo-user] Gentoo counter?":
>
>> I've just read about the 'new' Linux Counter from a slashdot
> article,
>> and I wonder: is there a 'Gentoo Counter' that tracks (voluntarily,
> of
>> course) the number of active Gentoo systems in the world?
>
> Why not just look at Linux Counter and see how many run Gentoo?
>
> The Linux Counter collects the distro information, so there is no need
> for a separate counter for each distro.

Linux Counter is but one of several projects trying to do that. It is perhaps
the more well known and more public.
According to Wikipedia there is also another big project lead by Fedora called
Smolt, which is also available in Gentoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolt_%28Linux%29

Now, I don't now if the Gentoo folks patched Smolt to report to Gentoo
infrastructure instead of Fedora infrastructure (probably a good thing to do).
And I haven't tried it myself (yet) - though I do have LinuxCounter listings
for most of my systems (not automatically updated).

$0.02

Ben