On 09/12/2011 07:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:

On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <rea...@arcor.de
<mailto:rea...@arcor.de>> wrote:

 > In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
 >
 >  media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
 >
 > When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
version, I get:

 >  $ emerge freetype
 >
 >  WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
 >  in package.provided:
 >
 >    freetype pulled in by 'args'
 >
 >  Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]
 >
 > Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work.  The only only to emerge
it seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6").  Is
this a bug?

Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place? Did
you install freetype on your own, without using portage?

Portage installs both freetype-1 as well as freetype-2. texlive has freetype-1 as a dep, and I don't want it installed because I'm not using ttf2tfm.

The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have
installed a certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't want
to mess up your installed package.

Just delete the line and emerge freetype.

From my point of view, it doesn't work perfectly, because it behaves differently when freetype-1 is really installed, and when it's not but listed in package.provided. If I install freetype-1 and type:

  emerge freetype

it will emerge freetype:2. So the behavior is vastly different between having freetype really installed, and when not but listed in package.provided.