On 09/12/2011 08:17 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
On Monday, 12. September 2011 20:04:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
     media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer

version, I get:
     $ emerge freetype

     WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is
     listed

     in package.provided:
       freetype pulled in by 'args'

     Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
     [Yes/No]

Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work.  The only only to emerge
it
seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6").  Is
this
a bug?

At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with complete
version also fails.

It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail.  Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
at the same time.

Yes, that's true for the packages provided by portage. portage does not know
anything about the freetype you provide, so it shouldn't install any freetype
from any slot by any command.

I don't see how it doesn't know anything about it, given that it requires me to list a full package atom in package.provided. So it always knows which version should be considered as being provided.