On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> There are not many people who agree with you here.
> The changes will lead to a C:-drive, similar to MS Windows, where everything
> has to be a single partition.

Technically, this isn't true. %PROGRAMFILES need not be on
%SYSTEMDRIVE%. %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% need not be on the same drive as
%PROGRAMFILES%. I believe most of the system key locations are allowed
to be in disparate locations.

> For various reasons, using seperate partitions are a better solution:
> -  It allows for the use of filesystems better suited to the type of files and
> usage on each partition.
> - It prevents a single part of the filesystem to kill the entire system. (I
> can risk loosing 1 partition and not loose the rest of my data)

Fully concur.

>> In my humble opinion, what you just said is a little pedantic. You can
>> disagree with the proposed changes, you can argue why you think
>> another approach could be better. But just saying "the implementation
>> of it isn't  thought through", is a little insulting to the devs. I
>> think they though about the implementation a lot.
>
> They may have thought about it, but didn't think things through.
> I have already stated a better way of doing it in the past few days. I will
> repeat it here.
>
> The problem-scope that udev is TRYING to solve should NOT be solved in a
> single tool.

Concur.

> The main purpose of udev is to populate the /dev-tree.
> The running of scripts based on /dev-tree events should be in a seperate tool
> that starts later in the boot-process.

I'm not *entirely* convinced this is the case, because it feels like
some situations like network devices (nbd, iSCSI) or loopback would
require userland tools to bring up once networking is up.

> Merging these 2, without properly handling failures, is bad design.

Concur.

>> Again, to me is not "breaking it". To me is "improving it".
>
> Adding another SPOF (Single Point Of Failure) is not an improvement.

Concur.

--
:wq