On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:55:19 +0200
Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> My personal preference would be option 1 as I agree with Alan that
> LVM should stick to managing LVs and leave striping and other options
> to RAID- devices/software.

My preference is to get rid of this whole artifical
disk/block-device/partition/pv/vg/lv nonsense and have one layer that
does it all. I really don't see the point in persisting with keeping
knowledge of distinct disks all the way through the stack, all of that
should just be abstracted into "storage" that can have rules attached
where you specify how you want stuff to behave (like mirroring and
striping).

As it is, each layer is a very thin wrapper around a physical object
and we only lose that distinction when we create lvs. Even though I
understand how the whole stack works, it's still hard to visualize (5
layers!) and consumes way too much time explaining it to people. All
rather unnecessary.

I had high hopes that ZFS would take us to a new place where all that
would be possible.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com