On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Is there no automated way to catch these? --library expects an
>>> argument; how do I know which libraries to feed it?
>>
>> My question exactly. It's not likeyou can look at just names of
>> libraries as I think to do this right you've got to look at every
>> revision of every library on the system, don't you?
>>
>> It's possible that this problem could exist for a long while if a
>> program doesn't get used much...
>
> Based on subsequent discussion since I wrote that question, I think
> the answer is, "currently, no." Ebuillds would need more metadata, and
> portage would need to be more aware of deep dependencies.
>
> I'm not sure of revdep-rebuild's angle, or how it might be able to be
> improved to detect errors that don't come from broken linkage.
> --
> :wq

OK, I saw that comment but didn't grasp that it's the answer. Could be.

Alternatively, in Michael's example earlier, I don't think the ldd
results for bash are changed (are they?) when ncurses is updated:

[QUOTE]
$ ldd /bin/bash
       linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffbafff000)
       libncurses.so.5 => /lib64/libncurses.so.5 (0x00007f0a4c278000)
       libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f0a4c074000)
       libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f0a4bce4000)
       /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f0a4c4ce000)
[/QUOTE]

It seems to me this is tending toward something similar to slots,
isn't it? If one package (bash) needs a specific version then can't we
find it using ldd (on every package on the system unfortunately) and
ensure that the needed .so files aren't removed?

/lib64/libncurses.so.5 & /lib64/libncurses.so.6 could both exist on
the system even if both version of the ncurses package don't.

I suspect this is mostly what revdep-rebuild is already doing, and I
also suspect my view of the problem is far too remedial...

Thanks,
Mark