On 24 September 2011 12:33, James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 September 2011 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan <cont...@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
>> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?
>
> What you're missing is the experience of having used it. (Or having
> *tried* to use it).
>
> Once you have, you will see why no one is enthusiastic enough to write
> an ebuild and support it in gentoo (or an overlay).
>
> I'm just glad that Ubuntu still ships with vanilla Gnome (or "Ubuntu
> Classic") by default -- I maintain a few Ubuntu systems for members of
> my family.

Just my opinion here, but i've used both Unity and gnome-shell and a
*MUCH* prefer Unity (IMO, I could live with Unity if GNOME2 ever went
away, i know i couldn't live with gnome-shell). It seems to have a
more well thought-out interface, it's getting massive improvements and
it's really sane and non-obtrusive (compared to gnome-shell, I still
prefer a "traditional desktop experience").