Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> [11-10-10 20:56]:
> On 10/10/2011 09:45 PM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  [11-10-10 19:52]:

> >>These *are* real configuration files and you don't need to transfer
> >>anything.
> >>

> >The reason I thought, that those settings in /etc/conf.d is due
> >to a warning of the rkhunter tool:
> >
> >[03:23:21] Performing system configuration file checks
> >[03:23:21] Info: Starting test name 'system_configs'
> >[03:23:21]   Checking for SSH configuration file             [ Found ]
> >[03:23:21] Info: Found SSH configuration file: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >[03:23:21] Info: Rkhunter option ALLOW_SSH_ROOT_USER set to 'no'.
> >[03:23:21] Info: Rkhunter option ALLOW_SSH_PROT_V1 set to '0'.
> >[03:23:21]   Checking if SSH root access is allowed          [ Warning
> >]
> >[03:23:21] Warning: The SSH configuration option 'PermitRootLogin' has
> >not been set.
> >            The default value may be 'yes', to allow root access.
> >[03:23:21]   Checking if SSH protocol v1 is allowed          [ Warning
> >]
> >[03:23:21] Warning: The SSH configuration option 'Protocol' has not
> >been set.
> >            The default value may be '2,1', to allow the use of
> >protocol version 1.
> >[03:23:22]   Checking for running syslog daemon              [ Not
> >found ]
> >[03:23:22] Info: The syslog daemon is not running, but a metalog
> >daemon has been found.
> >[03:23:22]   Checking for syslog configuration file          [ Not
> >found ]
> >
> >Now I see, that it seems to check simply the wrong file.
> >
> >I think it would be an idea to patch rkhunter to be more compliant to
> >the setup of the gentoo system ?!
> > From own experience I know that a lot false warnings of such tools
> >dull the sigth on to the real threads...
>
> It's checking the correct file.  Simply edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
> your liking.  /etc/conf.d/ is not for those kind of settings; it's
> read-in by Gentoo's init system and other infrastructure.

Now I am a little more confused...

What is the purpose of this file?  :

    /etc/conf.d/sshd

with this contents:

    # /etc/conf.d/sshd: config file for /etc/init.d/sshd

    # Where is your sshd_config file stored?

    SSHD_CONFDIR="/etc/ssh"

    # Any random options you want to pass to sshd.
    # See the sshd(8) manpage for more info.

    SSHD_OPTS=""

    # Pid file to use (needs to be absolute path).

    #SSHD_PIDFILE="/var/run/sshd.pid"

    # Path to the sshd binary (needs to be absolute path).

    #SSHD_BINARY="/usr/sbin/sshd"

if /etc/ssh/sshd_config is for configuration of sshd's options...for
what purpose is /etc/conf.d/sshd then ?

And what files gets overwritten when installing a new version of sshd?

Best regards,
mcc