On 10/10/2011 10:13 PM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  [11-10-10 20:56]:
On 10/10/2011 09:45 PM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>   [11-10-10 19:52]:
On 10/10/2011 08:33 PM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
I have read several docs to figure out this...all docs do changes
in /etc/conf.d but I found no hint how to transfer that settings
to the "real" configuration files of the according programs.

These *are* real configuration files and you don't need to transfer
anything.

The reason I thought, that those settings in /etc/conf.d is due
to a warning of the rkhunter tool:
[...]
Now I see, that it seems to check simply the wrong file.

It's checking the correct file.  Simply edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
your liking.  /etc/conf.d/ is not for those kind of settings; it's
read-in by Gentoo's init system and other infrastructure.

Now I am a little more confused...

What is the purpose of this file?  :

     /etc/conf.d/sshd

It's used by Gentoo's init system, not by ssh.

if /etc/ssh/sshd_config is for configuration of sshd's options...for
what purpose is /etc/conf.d/sshd then ?

And what files gets overwritten when installing a new version of sshd?

All files are overwritten. In case of differences, emerge will tell you about it at the end of the emerge (even if you emerged multiple packages, the notification will only appear at the end of all of them.)

Configuration protection is a basic feature of portage. When emerge tells you that the newly installed configuration files differ from the existing ones, it means that you need to run 'dispatch-conf' (or another equivalent tool) that will show you what those differences are and will allow you to merge them. Until you do that, the new config files will keep their temporary names ("._cfg" prefix).