On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.b...@gmx.net> wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> please don't get me wrong on this one, i mean no offense.
> can anyone explain to me what this is? are these lavender threads some
> kind of trolling i don't get?
>
> it (apparently on purpose, since hints in that direction are ignored)
> combines loads of annoying qualities:
>
> - nondescriptive titles
> - doing everything to rip apart threads: no In-Reply-To and even
>  subject changes
> - no line-breaks
> - difficult to read incorrect punctuation (plenk)
> - problem details are kept nebulous and info requests are ignored
> - none of the proposed solutions are ever tried or commented

To me, the "Lavender's" messages read like someone is going through an
automated translation tool to get between English and their native
language. (In this case, Chinese)

"Anyone can afford ... ?" sounds like bad forced translation between
semantic idioms.

"Anyone can afford information about build kernel"
"Can anyone afford information about build kernel"
"Can anyone spend time helping about build kernel"
"Can anyone spend time helping me build my kernel"

That explains the punctuation (poor translation tool(!)) and nebulous
requests. His responses indicated he was reading what had been sent in
reply. His first reply and his second reply were closely related, and
when commands were offered that allowed him to find the exact
information he needed, he gave his third reply indicating he had what
he needed.

I'm using GMail as my email client, and threading and subject lines
showed intact for me until your "this is spam" message following the
one I'm replying to.

As for line endings, I can think of two possible reasons. The first
(and, I suspect, more likely) would be that Lavender is using an email
gateway that automatically translates between English and Chinese, and
the email gateway did not implement line wrapping (or did so poorly).
The second might be that Chinese email clients, frequently operating
with an ideogram langauge, don't need to line-wrap so frequently, so
Lavender's email client might be buggy in that regard.

> it's nice how much many people on this this list are willing to help in
> spite of all this. but am i really the only one who finds the behavior
> described above at least confusing?
> anyway, i'm quite convinced it is fake.

I have no reason to believe it's fake. I'm reasonably sure it was
machine-processed, but I expect there was a human at the far end.

--
:wq