On Wednesday 17 August 2005 18:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
> A quick test would be
>
> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
I got this:
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   1344 MB in  2.00 seconds = 672.10 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.51 seconds =   2.28 MB/sec

> (or whatever drive you are concerned about.) Greater than 15MB/S is
> almost certainly DMA but good DMA from newer drives should be
> 25-50MB/S
The second speed is evidently wrong.

> You can look at the drives parameters using hdparm and reading through
> the man page to understand what all the values mean.
I tried to enable dma, but this happened:
# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

What am I doing wrong ? some kernel option ?

Thanks
--
Pupeno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (http://pupeno.com)
Reading ? Science Fiction ? http://sfreaders.com.ar