Am 16.11.2011 19:05, schrieb masterprometheus:

> Oh I would definitly do that (overclock it I mean). But if there
> isn't someone with the same name, you've said :
>
>> I ask myself if I need the K-version at all, I don't want to
>> overclock ...
>
> Change of heart ? Understandable as these CPUs are easy to overclock.

Yes, I know. I meant before: "I don't want to overclock if it's risky
and unstable ..." :-)

> If you don't need the hyperthreading just get the 2500K and a good
> HSF. You can easily run it @4.5GHz 7/24 and safely.

phew, that sounds fast, yes ....

I assume the HT will do something to compiling stuff (read:
gentoo-emerging everyday)?

>> Yep. So Intel noticed "wow, we get a few of them which run stable
>> even at 100MHz more, let's sell them for some more money"   ;-)
>
> True but Intel's MSRP was just $10-15 more than a 2600K. Vendors
> decided to up the price a bit. Not uncommon with new products.

I'd be ready to just spend a little more and get the faster CPU as I
change my work-pcs only every few years. I still use a C2D E6600 for
everyday purposes ... but maybe I just go for the 2600k, it will be more
than enough to make things fly in comparison.

Stefan