Am 2011-11-16 12:25, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:11:25 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
>> You "only" upgrade CPU and board now and re-use cooling etc ?
>
> Why not? The cooling I have is already more than my CPU needs and,
> most importantly, is extremely quiet. The loudest noise on my PC
> is the hard drive stepper motors.

my ssd died lately :-( *that* was quiet (turned down the hdds when not
needed)

> I also have new hard drives, but I bought those a couple of weeks
> ago, just before the prices went ballistic.

Same here, 2x1TB are enough in my workstation, more stuff in the basement.

I just wonder which i7-2xxx to choose.

I read:

"K processors do not support Intel TXT, Intel VT-d [3] and vPro.[4]"

(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#.22Sandy_Bridge.22_.2832_nm.29
)

For KVM I need VT-x ... OK, I assume VT-d is nice to have, but not needed?

I ask myself if I need the K-version at all, I don't want to overclock ...

-

Did you also consider the newer i7-2700k? Maybe too expensive because
it's so new. And I assume it's not that much faster.

Although I only assume that, I have to research it ...

Stefan