On Friday 25 November 2011, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 20:53, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
> > I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
> > highly-partitioned, like this:
> >
> > /
> > /boot
> > /usr
> > /tmp
> > /usr/portage ==> via NFS
> > /var
> > /var/lib/postgresql
> > /var/tmp
> > /var/log
> > /var/spool
> >
> > (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
> > /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
> >
> > I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and
> > there are as many number as search-hits.
> >
> > So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
> >
> > (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
>
> I also wonder if /var/tmp can be shared between boxen (via NFS),
> assuming I ensure that no two boxen perform emerge at the same
> time...
>
> Rgds,

If you want to mount /var/tmp/portage over NFS you can set in
/etc/make.conf for every machine:

PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp/<hostname>

So you won't have to worry about concurrent emerge across different
machines.

Disclaimer: this is an untested idea.

HTH
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 3.1.1-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 14 07:03:50
CET 2011