On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:01:07 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
>> > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
>> > complex.
>>
>> I really don't think so. pvcreate <partition> creates a physical volume,
>> vgcreate <vgname> <partition> starts a volume group, and lvcreate -n
>> if it were a physical partition.
>
> The problem people have with LVM is not working with PVs, VGs and LVs, it
> is understanding what they are and how they fit together. Once that is
> clear, the system becomes as simple as you stated.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

I have a machine I built a couple of years ago that has a good Intel
MB & processor (i5-661) from that time frame, and the machine already
has Gentoo on it, but the hard drives where more or less what I had
hanging around at the time so it ended up with 4 smallish drives. 3
for Gentoo, 1 for Windows. Would it be a reasonable training exercise
to take a new 1TB drive and do some sort of rsync copy of those 3
drives into some sort of a LVM and see how it works?

- Mark