I was going to unmerge emacs ( I don't use it ) but was warned:

!!! Trying to unmerge package(s) in system profile. 'app-editors/emacs'
!!! This could be damaging to your system.

What is my system profile?  Is it my default profile:

/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0?

and why would emacs be in there.  I looked in the files in there and did
not find anything significant.

Tony

   -- Benjamin Franklin