Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:31:20 +0100
Nicolas Sebrecht<nsebre...@piing.fr>  wrote:

Then again, using initramfs is yet-another-component waiting to
break.

Knowing Murphy's Law, it will one day fuck up everything.
And the mdev alternative won't follow this law?

It's not immune to it, just statistically less likely to be affected.

mdev sans initramfs is a less complex solution than udev plus
initramfs. Ergo, all other things being equal, less bits to break.

Yep. I *think* I got a init thingy to work but I'm still not sure and apparently since there was no replies to my other thread, no one else knows either. From the messages in dmesg, it looks like I have tho. Thing is, if I reboot and the init fails, I have no real clue how to fix it. I know this because I ran into this same thing on Mandriva, along with the dependency problems that is well known. The fact that Gentoo has a simple booting process is what really got me interested in Gentoo. If we are going down this road, I may check and see if the dependency problems are fixed. As bad as it is to say, Gentoo is getting more like other distros that I left or didn't want to bother with. Makes me wonder. I know I am a unique old bird but I bet I am not alone in this.

It sort of comes down to this, if I can't boot because of a broken init*, I may just save my /home and data drive and install something else.

Just my $0.02 worth and it ain't worth more than that I'm sure.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"