On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:49:29 -0500
Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As I said about my ex once, time tells.  Sometimes, time is the
> > only thing that does tell too.  Reminds me of wine although I don't
> > drink it.
>
> I think it's absolutely ridiculous to look at udev and mdev as winner
> or loser. I'm not trying to be even-handed or fair in this; I just
> think they service different needs.
>
> Currently, the only advantage I see for udev in a server is the
> ability to give network interfaces meaningful names...

Even that isn't all that useful for me. For my servers I know exactly
which interface is which (turns out that when Dell give you 4 on-board
nics they always come up in the same order. Pretty useful.)

We do the proper thing and document every bit of hardware in a central
repo (ocsng makes this automagic) and the way it is when the box is
racked is the way it stays till it's switched off 5 years later.

Aside from disks and RAM I've only had 2 hardware failures in 4 years
(both were Adaptec RAID cards) so changing hardware is an unusual event
(and rather major at that when it does happen).

For me, udev is more of a hindrance in the data centre than a help. I
simply do not need it at all, so mdev interests me a lot.

On my notebooks and test/development VMs, that's different. Those need
udev.

On something as complex as a node manager, I do not believe there is
such a thing as one-size fits all or a universal design.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com