I personally run it the "right way" if there is such a thing. Gentoo with VMware 5 installed on the computer and XP Pro installed inside of VMware. For what little I need Windoze VMware works wonders. It runs most Windows apps (including the OS) almost faster than it runs naively. I haven't tried it the other way around (VMware installed on top of Windoze) but I can imagine that it runs far slower on Windoze than it does on Gentoo. As far as my experience running VMware on Gentoo I have nothing but good experiences. The only downside is the licensing cost to get a copy of VMware.

-Mike