Chris Walters wrote:
> On 1/19/2012 05:04 PM, Dale wrote:
>> Chris Walters wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a test.  Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and
>>> expired key to sign my messages, lately.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> I have a question now.  I got a message from Paul Hartman and
>> replied to it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply
>> was too.  My question is this.  How do you make a email that only
>> the sender and receiver can read?  As a example.  I'm talking to
>> a Doctor or a lawyer and I don't want anyone but that person to
>> see the email.  How do I do that?  Can that be done.
>
> Yes, see below.  It looks like you are using a web interface
> (Firefox) to send and reply to messages.  I would suggest emerging
> Thunderbird (emerge -av thunderbird).  There is an add on called
> Enigmail for this mail client that makes encrypting, signing and
> decrypting messages, much easier. You need gnupg, as well.

Close.  Sort of.  I actually use Seamonkey as my emailly program.

>> The message that I am repying to appears to be something,
>> encypted maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the
>> tool can read it. Am I correct?
>
> If the message is encrypted to them, then yes.  If not, no.  You
> need a secret key to decrypt a message that is encrypted, and if
> anyone seeing it is not on the list of recipients, they will not
> have that key.

I'm starting to see this now.  When I sign a message, it is public but
people are assured that it came from me.  Sort of like having a check
with a picture ID that matches.  :/

>> I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing.  Ya'll know
>> how I am.  lol
>
> With OpenPGP or PGP/MIME, you would have to share your public key
> with the other party - this would allow that party to encrypt
> messages to you.  You would also have to have the public key of the
> other party to encrypt to them.
>
> For example, if you wanted to encrypt to me, you'd have to retrieve
> my public key from a keyserver or I'd have to send it to you.  You
> would have to either sign a message (and have uploaded your public
> key to a keyserver), or send me your public key.
>
> You could then encrypt a message to me, and you could add yourself
> to the recipient list so you could read it.  Then, when I received
> the message, I would be prompted for my secret key's passphrase -
> this would allow decryption of the message.  Providing that I
> replied to you and chose the "encrypt" option, the entire message,
> including any quotes would be encrypted.
>
> Hope this helps, Chris
>
> -- Multibooting: wearing two socks of different colors and types,
> with two different boots... ;)

So, this is why when I want to sign a message it asks me for the
password.  I thought it was trying to do something wrong.  Made me
scratch my head.

Mud is clearing up a bit.

Dale

:-)  :-)

- --
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
or how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"