On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:04:11 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris Walters wrote:

> >> Well, if you had signed your mail, then I could write you
> >> encrypted. :)
> >
> > This is a test.  Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and
> > expired key to sign my messages, lately.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> I have a question now.  I got a message from Paul Hartman and replied
> to it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply was too.  My
> question is this.  How do you make a email that only the sender and
> receiver can read?  As a example.  I'm talking to a Doctor or a lawyer
> and I don't want anyone but that person to see the email.  How do I do
> that?  Can that be done.
>
> The message that I am repying to appears to be something, encypted
> maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the tool can read it.
> Am I correct?
>
> I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing.  Ya'll know how
> I am.  lol

Well we first need to be accurate. It's not a case that only you and
Paul can read the encrypted mail. It's a case that only a
machine holding the necessary private key can decrypt it, and then the
mail can be read in plain text. Not quite the same thing as what you
said, as private keys can be stolen.

If Paul encrypted the mail using your public key, then only the private
key you hold can decrypt it. Similarly, if you encrypt a mail to Paul
using his public key, then only Paul's private key can decrypt it.

There's no known way to decrypt a mail like that without the single
private key needed (this works exactly like https traffic to your
bank). I feel very confident saying "no known way" as cracking that
puzzle has been the Holy Grail of maths prizes for 40 years and no-one
has announced success. Seeing as mathematicians are a vain lot, and the
one that accomplishes this feat with be showered with honour and glory
for all time (making Einstein look like a child), it's a safe
assumption that it hasn't been done yet.

To check if the mail was encrypted, simply tell EnigMail to not decrypt
it. It will show as gobbledegook, then only the recipient can decrypt
it (as long as the private key stays safe).

To make this all work, you need to share public keys with each other.
But you don't need to do it in secret as the public keys are, well,
public. So you stick them on a key server where the other guy can
retrieve them and away you go, profit!!! There's a few other steps you
should do to establish trust in the public key (they can be forged) but
that's beyond the scope of explaining how the keys work.

The answer to your question is then yes.

I suppose next you'll be wanting to know what fields to fill in in your
specific mail app to enable it your end, right?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com