On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:19:33 -0500
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 2012-02-05 12:08 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM,
> > Tanstaafl<tansta...@libertytrek.org>  wrote:
> >> In the emerge post install I get:
> >>
> >> WARN: postinst
> >> Old /etc/init.d/mysql and /etc/conf.d/mysql still present!
> >> Update both of those files to the new versions!
> >>
> >> But it doesn't say anything about *how* to update them...
> >>
> >> Is this documented anywhere? Or is this just evidence that I'm
> >> clueless (meaning, I should 'just know' what needs to be done)?
>
>  > Probably etc-update.
>
> Nope, ran etc-update and it didn't fix it...

You have some other threads going on this and it looks
like you used etc-update or equivalent correctly. In other words, it
should all just work for you. Equally obviously, it doesn't.

In your shoes what I would be doing now is backup your entire mysql
install (everything listed in "equery files mysql"), delete the package
(emerge -C) and remerge mysql.

Then check if starting and stopping works correctly. I suspect you'll
find it will. Now you just need to diff these new files with your
backups and find differences.

Yes, this is sort of the long way round but you're not having much luck
asking "anyone seen this before?", so now it's time to bring out the
big guns

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com