On Feb 16, 2012 8:41 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:35:50 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
> > > Or use a hardlink instead of a symlink.
>
> > I tend to stay away from hardlinks; ls IIRC can't differentiate between
> > hardlinks and normal files.
>
> There is no difference. A normal file entry in a directory is still a
> hardlink, what we generally call hardlinks are just additional copies,
> it's all the same file.
>
> > Thus, there's a possibility that I forgot
> > and accidentally change the one in /opt, which then get pushed to
> > bitbucket.
>
> It doesn't matter where you change it when there's only one file. It
> means you can put the file where openrc seems to want it and keep it in
> your separate directory as you want.

What I meant was, I rely on ls to remind me (or other sysadmins) that the
file is special and should not be edited willy-nilly.

That's because the wallmator package is still under development, and it's
synchronized between firewalls using mercurial.

I don't want a well-meaning but misguided minion to 'taint' the mercurial
repo.

> However, if symlinks have stopped working, there was either a conscious
> design decision or you've found a new bug.

Do you think I should bring this question to -dev, or file a bug?

Rgds,