On 21 February 2012 18:36, Felix Kuperjans <fe...@desaster-games.com> wrote:
> Hi Hilco,
>
> answers and suggestions inline.
>
> Am 22.02.2012 03:03, schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Every morning I start konsole, type "emerge --sync", and then go do
>> other stuff. Some time later I look at the output and usually run
>> "emerge ... world". I would like to automate that a bit more.
> Just a suggestion: Do you know the porticron script? Combined with a
> proper setup of ssmtp, it will sync you portage tree daily (in the
> background) and send you an email with all updates, and important
> security notes.

Thanks, no I did not know about this script.

I checked it out but I prefer to kick the sync off myself (syncing
really slows down the computer). Besides, I have my own little script
that does everything the way I want it. :-)

>> I can use kpart to start konsole on a particular desktop so that's
>> easy. What I can't seem to get working is the "$SHELL --login" +
>> "emerge --sync" part.
>>
>> If I run "konsole --noclose -e emerge --sync" then I get the output I
>> want but I don't get a prompt. If I run "konsole -e $SHELL --login"
>> then I get the prompt but, obviously, no emerge output.
>>
>> How can I combine these two? I would like konsole to run emerge --sync
>> and then leave a prompt open. Just like what would happen if I did it
>> all manually. Any ideas?
> I don't use konsole, but try out: konsole -e $SHELL -c "emerge --sync &&
> $SHELL --login"

Ah, the secret sauce is the quotes. Google had told me not to use
quotes. I must have misunderstood. Still, I thought I had tried
something like that.

Thanks!