On Feb 25, 2012 9:16 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

---->8snip

> That is true BUT the docs are for 100% certainty.  Well, 99% at least.
> They almost always have the safest way to do anything but not
> necessarily the most used way.  There are lots of things I do
> differently from the docs and my system generally works fine, except for
> the little roaches that scurry about from time to time.
>
> If you want a drop dead, almost as sure as the Sun comes up in the East
> approach, go by the docs.  If you want to save some time for most
> general usage, do it the way us goofy geeks do it.  Some of us know some
> neat shortcuts.
>
> Dale

I tend to do an 'eyeball dryrun' first: start tmux, create 2 'windows', do
make menuconfig of the older kernel in the first window, and start make
menuconfig in the second. I quickly compare the menu structure of both to
see where the implicit oldconfig might choke, do some research if
necessary, and make notes.

Then, I exit the newer menuconfig and cp the older .config to the newer src
directory, and start make menuconfig again. I keep comparing what I'm doing
against what I've done in window #1.

Never had a kernel upgrade failure this way -- touch wood!

Rgds,