On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:58:59 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 February 2012 17:00, Dan Johansson <dan.johans...@dmj.nu> wrote:

> >> Yes, that was it, killing the dhcpcd made it possible to bring the
> >> interface up and associate with the AP. As openrc was one of the
> >> packages upgraded yesterday (0.9.8.4 -> 0.9.9.1) I assume (guess)
> >> that is why dhcpcd gets started at boot. Now I just have to figure
> >> out a way to stop this from happening.
> >
> > The problems seems to be that dhcpcd was started automatically as
> > soon as a service needed "the network" - in my case dhcpcd was
> > started due to /etc/init.d/sshd. At the moment I have solved it
> > with putting "rc_dhcpcd_provide="!net"" in /etc/rc.conf which
> > prevents dhcpcd to start when sshd is started and wicd can now do
> > it's magic.
>
> Ah, I could really have done with this thread earlier, but gmail had
> decided that it was spam :-/
>
> What is strange is that it seems to work for some networks, but not
> for others, and I can't figure out how to predict on which dhcpd with
> succeed and on which it will not.
>
> I have access to three APs here (each with different SSIDs), and I can
> only connect to one of them; the other two have the dhcp failure. Very
> strange.

Yes, it gets curioser and curioser. I reported yesterday that
kernel-3.2.5 worked fine with openrc-0.9.9.*

Well actually it doesn't work fine, it's sorta flakey. Takes a while to
get a DHCP address on wireless, often drops the connection but is solid
on wired.

I added "provide net" to the depend() section of /etc/init.d/wicd and
all those issues went away. Still haven't tested on kernel-3.2.6 yet,
have too many things open that must stay open to be able to reboot
right now.

Whatever the root cause is, it's certainly not obvious.
--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com