On Mar 13, 2012 9:05 AM, "Mike Edenfield" <kut...@kutulu.org> wrote:

> [...]
problem as well as you believe.

> The idea of trying to launch udevd and initialize devices without the
software, installed in /usr, which is required by those devices is a
configuration that causes problems in many real-world, practical situations.

> The requirement of having /usr on the same partition as / is also a
configuration that causes problems in many real-world, practical situations.

I quite often read about this, and after some thinking, I have to ask: why?

> The requirement to ensure that /usr is *somehow available* before
launching udevd is a configuration that, I am told, causes problems in some
specialized real-world, practical situations. (I am ignoring "problems"
such as "initramd might possibly break maybe" or "that's more work than I
want to do" as being the expected griping that always happens when you ask
a group of geeks to change something.)

When one's handling enterprise servers, "might possibly break" is a 95%
certainty of "you do that and I'll make sure to have a pink slip standing
by." :-)

Rgds,