On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:04:00 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> I am seriously thinking of splitting the storage of directories
> under /usr, e.g., /usr/portage and /usr/source actually living
> somewhere else, on different partition and different filesystem.
> Let's say something mounted on /mnt/Persistent.
>
> My question: should I use bindmount or symlinks to do that? What's the
> drawbacks/benefits for either?
>
> Rgds,

You should do neither as they do not give you split storage, they
both give you the same thing in two different places.

Create two new filesystems and mount them.

I personally use /var/portage as there is no good reason for it to be
under /usr where it is just clutter.

Code goes in /usr
Data goes in /var

You have to change PORTDIR in /etc/make.conf for this to work as well
as /etc/make.profile. Nothing breaks without it, you just get errors
from portage

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com