On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:49 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
> > mandated by udev and am having some issues.
> >
> > I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice  and dont use an
> > initrd/initramfs.
> >
> > As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
> > installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
> > disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
> > but there are various kludges to get it to work.
> >
> > So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
> >
> > hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
> >
> > Are there any (up to date) docs?
> >

> > BillK
> >

> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
> hibernation.  I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>
> Also, I have no /sbin/resume on any of my systems (some are years old
> and have been successfully running ToI for most of that time) - so how
> can the initramfs actually start resumimg?
>
> Though I have a more immediate problem - hangs on hibernation and no log
> messages.
>
> BillK

Well, patching genkernel worked so its still broken as regards
suspend/resume - so I can now suspend/resume still with some errors.

Next problem is that there are error messages implying /usr might not be
mounted by the initramfs (some /usr files not found) ... is there
anything else that needs doing?  Once the system is up /usr and all
other directories are correctly mounted (most are on LVM).

Is there a way to get a detailed log of what the initrd is doing/has
done?

BillK