Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

>      Has anyone played around with the various "better known"
> compilers on Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel,
> llvm, pathscale. My situation is that I've just started my PhD which
> requires me to do Finite Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational
> Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to find the "best" compiler for the
> job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX compiler is only 1 - 2%
> faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm doing this 1 - 2% IS
> important.

"Octave" is in portage, as it is a matlab sorta package for
fluids.

google for

Octave : Computational Fluid Dynamics : Finite Element Analysis

for starters.

I understand you are smart, but why push the issues on compiler
efficiency, if you are not willing to hack the compiler code?

Why not push the mathematical envelop and use:
Sparse Matrix Techniques ??????????????????????

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/matrices/

http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren/2007/03/01/
creating-sparse-finite-element-matrices-in-matlab/

hth,

James