David W Noon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:28:17 -0500, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
> InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:
>
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Everything you fear about udev instantly ceases to exist and is no
>>> longer a problem. Sorted.
>
> And /var ??
>
>> But what about using LVM?  People was all for me using it a while back
>> and I want to use it, see other post, but now because of this, I'm not
>> supposed to.
>
> I promised you (plural) an easy initramfs solution a few months back.
>
> I have an initramfs image of 1.6MiB that supports LVM and
> mounts /usr, /var and any other LVM volume or partition you wish.  I
> have been able to boot with it since about January (hardware issues on
> my development box permitting).  I will release a Python script to
> build it from a single command in the next 10 days or 2 weeks.  The
> real chore will be writing the documentation (as with most software
> development efforts).
>
> For me, the best part is its diminutive size, as my /boot partitions
> are only 32MiB each.  The fact that it works every time should make you
> feel secure against whatever the udev developers can throw at us.

The reason I want to use dracut is because that is what is supposed to
be supported by Gentoo.  I also read where others have used it with no
problems.  I was also hoping to learn how it works, or is supposed to
work, so that if something happens I can figure out a fix for it.  So
far, I broke it.  lol

I know genkernel is another approach but I just learned to hate that a
long time ago.  While not as bad as hal, it's a close second.

I might also add, mine does boot, it's just that the system doesn't work
right when I do boot with it.  From what I understand, it doesn't make
sense as to why it doesn't work.  In a way what it does is really
simple.  Mount /, then mount /usr and whatever else, then switch to the
new / and boot.  I have no idea why that makes me unable to su to root.
 From what I have read, once it does the switch root thing, it's done
and should work the same.

Well, I'm going to go have a good soak in the tub on this mess.  Sooth
my nerves a bit.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!