On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:28:36 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:20:04 +0100
> David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > The Gentoo developers have been discussing just that.  The reason is
> > that many of the daemons that can be started by udev scripts require
> > work files on /var, so we could well need /var mounted too.
>
> Which begs the obvious question,
>
> Why on earth is udev launching daemons in EARLY BOOT?

Your guess is as good as mine!

At present, the first thing I see when udev starts is a failed attempt
to run /usr/sbin/alsactl to restore the audio levels on my sound card.
This occurs before localmount or any other services in the sysinit
run-level have been started.  Just why anybody wants sound before the
disk volumes have been mounted baffles me; I guess people are just
desperate for the comforts of stereo.  Perhaps my mind simply lacks the
sophistication to understand the design of udev.

I guess I'll just stick to my 80-column Hollerith cards.  ... :-)
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
dwn...@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)