On Tue, Mar 27 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> All you need is a decent amount of free disk space as you will shuffle
> things around just like in that 15 pieces game.

This sounds encouraging.  My disk is less than half full so space is not
an issue.

> Assuming / is the first (or second) partition on a disk:

Question. For me, / is actually /dev/sda5 (sda4 is the extended
partition, the three in front are one dell's special, and two for
windows, the latter only used when contacting dell for diagnostics).
But I think this difference is not material.

> Measure how much data is on the file system.
> Measure how much data is on the /usr file system.

Right

> Move partitions after / on the disk out of the way creating enough free
> space to contain current / and /usr.

Question.  /dev/sda7 is LVM and that is used for /usr, /local, et al.
How do I move an LVM partition?  I could make plain partitions and just
copy /usr, /opt, et al., each to a separate partition.  Is that the way?

> Enlarge / partition, enlarge the file system on it, copy contents
> of /usr there.

/ is ext3, which I believe can be extended live.  Or do you recommend
using a gentoo install CD (or equivalent)?

> Arrange the rest of your disk the way you want it (either with or
> without LVM, both are easy enough to do).
> Move the rest of your data back to it's final destination.
> Delete any last remnants of the old /usr partition.

This part seems straight forward and not scary since I still would have
the newly created and copied /usr, /opt, et al. partitions in case
something goes wrong.

So the result would be

/ (including /usr) on one partition (not LVM)
/local, /opt et al.,  each as separate LVs on my recreated LVM partition

I believe this is one of the configurations others have adopted, which I
consider a plus.  The other favored configuration is to keep the current
partition scheme and use an initramfs via genkernel, dracut, or Neil's
"in kernel config" soln.

I would suspect there are second order improvements such as moving
/usr/portage and /usr/src to LVM with symlinks left behind in /usr, but
I am now just concerned to see if I have the basic plan correct.
Have I?

thanks,
allan