On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012 7:26 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>> > That was the reason for asking for your /usr/src/linux/.config file.
>> > The udev ebuild ask for:
>> >
>> > CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_BSG ~DEVTMPFS ~HOTPLUG ~INOTIFY_USER ~NET
>> > ~PROC_FS ~SIGNALFD ~SYSFS ~!IDE ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED
>> > ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2"
>> >
>> > The dracut ebuild ask for:
>> >
>> > CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_INITRD ~DEVTMPFS ~MODULES"
>> >
>> > So please check that you have all those options (and don't have the
>> > ones with !), recompile your kernel, and reboot.
>> >
>> > Also, the divergence between /boot/kernel... and (hd0,0)/kernel... in
>> > your grub could be causing  funny things. Check that also.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>>

>> OK.  I hate modules.  Can they be built into the kernel?  The only
>> module I have is nvidia for my video card.
>>
>> Also, if you can put this in one email, what about the /dev line in fstab?
>>
>> I didn't check the ebuild but I don't recall seeing anything when I
>> emerged dracut either.  o_O   Maybe we are on to something here.  ^_O
>>

> AFAIK DEVTMPFS is not a module. You either turn it on or off. Of course,
> you'll need a whole-kernel compile, but that's it.
>
> If you use menuconfig, IIRC there's another option right under DEVTMPFS' one
> that offers to mount devtmpfs on boot. If you turn that on, you *might* get
> away without a /dev in fstab.

Dale doesn't need /dev on fstab (nobody does); I only asked about it
since I had no information about the dracut failure trying to mount
/dev.

Now I think we have enough information, and I hope that when Dale
recompiles his kernel and reboots, everything will work.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México